The countdown to Christmas is on with our next craft: wooden photo ornaments. By printing on the slick side of a label sheet backing, you can transfer an image onto another surface. We used this technique to make photo ornaments for the twins’ first Christmas. I took some portraits this morning during breakfast to use on one side of the ornament. Get our free downloadable “Baby’s First Christmas” graphic below to make your own.
Wooden Photo Ornaments
- Wooden Disc Ornament
- Label sheet backing
- Paper Towel
- Remove string and sand the wooden disc thoroughly. The smoother the surface the better your ink transfer will be.
- Print your images onto the slick side of a label sheet backing. Make sure to select the "reverse image" option in your print settings.
- Trim backing around your graphic. Be sure not to touch the wet ink.
- Press the backing down onto the wooden disc. Gently rub the back to transfer the ink, but do not let the transfer sheet move or you will smudge the graphic. Carefully remove backing. Do not worry if the graphic is light, it will become darker with the next step.
- With a paper towel, spread Shellac on both sides of the ornament. Stand on its side to dry. Reattach string.
We’d love to see what your working on or have done for your baby’s first Christmas. Tag us on Instagram and check back tomorrow as we continue our twelve days of handmade Christmas crafts.5 Likes